Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Detectingwales.com Rally 57 - Detectorists came in Two by Two, Hoorah, Hoorah!  (Read 15900 times)
Ozzy Head

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 09:21:41 PM »

Reverse

* coin weight b.jpg (360.84 KB, 1369x817 - viewed 572 times.)

Metal Detectorists do it outdoors
proconsul
Proconsul

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 09:38:15 PM »

Entertaining report as usual Neil. It was nice to see all the hardy souls who ignored the little light precipitation we've experienced over the last few days and turned up for some hardcore metal detecting today.

Just to add to the pics, this rather nice well-preserved George III penny was found by Welshbreed.

* welshbreed_penny.jpg (72.27 KB, 850x410 - viewed 545 times.)
Debbie

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 10:16:19 PM »

A good day out with fellow mud wallowers  Cheesy  Plenty of the usual pre decimal coins and buttons - along with a large musket ball that would have really trashed the day of anyone it hit.

I had a nice buckle - poor condition, but interesting detail.  Sorry about the rubbish photos - took them under the rather harsh kitchen light  Grin

* finds.JPG (39.35 KB, 320x240 - viewed 514 times.)

* buckle.JPG (29.72 KB, 320x240 - viewed 493 times.)
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 02:28:41 AM »

Says a lot about the day, my boy holding a George iii coins he probed out of its watery resting place.

* P1000376.jpg (154.26 KB, 518x389 - viewed 408 times.)

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
TheLoveDoc

Garret Ace 250 Minelab Safari

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 07:23:53 AM »

great write up Neil.... great to see your finds there , well done all and congratulations to Chub for your first hammered

1 Gold ring - returned to owner.
1 Silver belt ring.
1 copper hammered
2 Thimbles
1lb Cannon Ball
3 William Love Tokens
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 07:27:33 AM »

Here are my contributions enjoy.

* 20121125_210844-1.jpg (27.46 KB, 408x408 - viewed 373 times.)

* 20121125_210832-1.jpg (22.77 KB, 408x408 - viewed 328 times.)

* 20121125_210553-1.jpg (52.08 KB, 637x532 - viewed 338 times.)

* 20121125_210507-1.jpg (52.81 KB, 585x623 - viewed 430 times.)

* 20121125_210352-1.jpg (43.79 KB, 592x608 - viewed 428 times.)

* 20121125_210305-1.jpg (28.65 KB, 549x493 - viewed 548 times.)

* 20121125_210252-1.jpg (41.62 KB, 592x520 - viewed 596 times.)

* 20121125_210204-1.jpg (42.37 KB, 528x605 - viewed 596 times.)

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 07:40:58 AM »

Nice going everyone, whats that horsey deadlock? It looks like a roman artefact to me .... what do you think?

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 07:43:39 AM »

I have not managed to clean my collection of mud up yet!!!  Grin i only had the usual buttons, lead and a buckle.

But as usual some good banter with brilliant people look forward to the next one  Grin

* 2012-11-26 11.16.56.jpg (193.96 KB, 1162x1221 - viewed 755 times.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:34:21 AM by WeCan-Octavian » Logged

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 07:46:11 AM »

..................and this is the rest of DW  today  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I wish you wouldnt share your dirty mind on here Mike lmao Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
Jeff The Wizard

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 09:13:20 AM »

The Detectorists came in Two by Two, Hoorah, Hoorah!

Following the severe weather over the past week, todays rally was seriously in doubt, but after spending three days crafting an ark, and ensuring that we had animal shaped lilo's just in case, we decided to go ahead with it.

I arrived to find about half of todays brave detectorists already at the site and eager to hit the fields. Todays battlefield was destined to be stubble and pasture that had been ploughed recently. The ground was certainly a bit wet under foot in places, but I have detected worse and I'm sure most of you have - it was a case of "He who dares, Rodney" and with little more than a two minute gathering we were off.

Less than 30 seconds into the first field a shout went up that a hammered Tudor silver coin had been found. Well it was what it was, and a bit dog earned, but I think it set the record for the quickest hammered coin at a DW rally.

Many of those present headed towards the area of the Roman Road in the hope that the Italians had at least had the decency to leave us a few of their belongings. Sadly this was not to be the case, although Mikeus Fobius managed to winkle a Roman from the lower section thats still ledgible. I have seen this a few times over the years, where you detect a site with a Roman Road running through it and find very little Roman. I thing its the same as todays infrastructure, where often the habitation and commerce is not along the actual road itself but a few fields away.

Speaking of fields away. A member who has been attending DW rallies for sometime now, was a field away in search of that ever elusive hammered coin. Little Chub has been detecting a good while now, but has been struggling with popping his Hammered Cherry. Well that all changed today in impressive fashion with Little Chub rocking up with a hammered Charles sixpence! (can we have a mintmark and date please Doc). To say he had the biggest smile of the day would not be an understatement. Your turn next Chris429!

The next find of note was an absolutely gigantic gilded buckle that boasted two lions heads on either end, and fell to the coil of Lloyder. A beautiful and unusual buckle that would have I feel been worn by someone of some importance. Difficult to date as it was still encrusted in mud and the lions head and design has been used for centuries way back to the Romans. My gut instinct is heading Georgian/Napoleonic and I think it has a military use.

I joined in with the finds myself, after finding a pretty rusted flick knife (whats that doing in a field in Hereford), I decided to pick up a piece of engraved silver work that looks like its come from a cherrot or similar small item.

Next up was  Moby with a somewhat dented Edward hammered coin, Jeff the Wizard with a Jetton and Debbie with a pot leg to add to the handfulls of coppers etc that we always seem to all find.

After a spot of lunch I headed into the pasture and near the furthest gate got a deep signal, that after I had dug a few spades out had me cursing. What is it with finding door knobs - thats my third dig in a row that I had found a door knob. Or that is, so I thought. On taking the knob out of the soil, it was no less than the largest Crotal Bell known to man! This thing is flaming huge, and decorated with scallop designs and the letter R. It was one of those bitter sweet moments as I was stoked to have found it, but gutted it was damaged.

My dissapointment was soon put on the backburner as the next hole was a medieval pendent shield with a spikey end to fix it. Theres a little bit of enamel still showing, so careful cleaning is required on this one.

I had to head off not long after this, as I am likely to get divorced if I failed to get home early following a weekend of drunken debauchery.

Not sure what else came up, but feel free to add you finds. Did anyone else find any lead loom weights? I had three all told - hole either end and one in the middle. All found nowhere near each other.

Great to see everyone today. A special word of thanks to Da Monkey for liasing with the farmer on behalf of DW. I shall see you online my friend for a game of Unreal Tournament!

All the best until next time.

Neil

If ring pulls and bottle tops were currency I would be a rich man
mickycoin "mick"

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 12:39:04 PM »

a good cross section of finds there , well done everyone  mickycoin  Grin Grin

you have to walk over it to find it,even then its not a dead sert
win

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 04:35:30 PM »

Thanks Neil, Taff, Geoff and damonkey for organising the dig on Sunday. The mud and occasional rain didn't stop us from having a good day. I had the good luck to find a hammered inside the first two minutes. I'd only walked 20 yards and it was my first signal ! Looks like a Lizzie twopence but well worn. My other finds were a George 11 farthing, couple of musket balls, buttons, and bits of lead.  On the downside, I came across an enormous hole where the detectorist had made no effort at all to fill any of it (in the pasture field) , mud all over the grass.. A few yards further on another one with a large iron connecting pin lying nearby. Sorry to tell the person involved, your effort to lose sites for DW failed as I filled in both holes, took less than a minute, you should try it some time soon. Generally I thought holes were filled in very well, especially considering the muddy conditions. Thanks again everybody.
melonhead

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 08:13:10 PM »

I enjoyed the rally yesterday and would like to know if anyone else found any george iii forged coins my sister and i hit a patch of them in the big pasture field.There were plenty off refilled holes nearby so somebody may have dug a few we found 6 . I think years ago someone hid or threw them away rather than get caught with them
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 08:26:56 PM »

I seen one other one fella. I thought it looked a little weird. I think someone found one with the molten dross attached to it still as well. I was telling hime, whoever it was about Casa's forging mould.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
gijan

my sir garret can find it ...yes he can

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 08:27:37 PM »

fab dig once again guys..lots of chit chat ,many laughs...{mike digging 4 wales} ::)i myself had 10 buttons old and paterned ones..buckle..bag seal...back of a watch... ::)which i thought woz a cracking coin.. ::)sorry for the yell. Roll Eyes.charles had buttons...george halfpenny.cheers nick 4 setting up sir garrett ,VERY PLEASED WITH MY SIR INDEED....LOOKING 4 WARD 2 THE NXT.....jxc...... Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

my sir garret can find it ..yes he can...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal