Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Detectingwales Rally 50 - Thats fifty and not out!  (Read 22610 times)
colin

dig everything

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »

cheers taff trying to find the info on that seal noy going to be easy Wink
Napoleon
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »

Thanks Neil for the report wow we did have some nice finds and was nice to speak to you all .  Grin well 10 minutes after the rallie start i get a hammered that was brilliant  this is number 10 like zizou for this year Cool.Welldone to eveyone. Nap
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »

also would like to say well done to everyone on putting your clodges back neat and tidy.... Wink

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
jaydogg

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »

Good write-up Neil, no one does a rally report quite like you Wink. Well done to those who found things under what were difficult detecting conditions; I found nowt worth keeping, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.  Sad
Roman (Ray)
Restricted Member
Superhero Member

Whites DFX 300 + Lazer Hawkeye user !!

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2012, 05:22:27 PM »

great write up neil mate. always enjoy reading your great write ups mate,
glad everyone had a great day with some members having some very interesting find.s.and
welldone to all the newbie.s who joined up for they.re first detectingwales ralley.thanks for coming along and see you all at the next one.
cheers everyone.
raymondo.

DOWN TO EARTH WITH ROMAN ( RAY )
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2012, 06:28:55 PM »

Some great finds and an excellent report Neil!

Well done to Jeff on the seal - it's 13th to 14th century, so a bit earlier than was thought.

The key letters in the seal are very difficult to read. It definitely starts 'SIGILL', but that doesn't help much as it is an abbreviation of 'SIGILLUM' = 'SEAL'

The best I can do is: * SIGILL'  ION AIMIS NOTER, but much of this is guesswork. Possibly indicates 'Seal of John Somebody'

If the coat of arms can be pinned down, that will probably help a lot.
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 07:07:42 PM »

Another cracking day, well done to all.

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
gijan

my sir garret can find it ...yes he can

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 10:43:01 PM »

GREAT DIG ONCE AGAIN  DW,,FAB DIGGERS ALL CHITTY CHATTY....JUST LIKE ME..... Roll Eyes ::)SPOILT WITH ALL THAT LAND 2 DIG.....BIG THANKS 2U MR NICE GUY ROMAN..RAY....FAB FIND 4 ME.. Grin Grin.AND MY BEST PAL MY GARRETT.. Roll Eyes ::)GREAT DAY,GREAT COMPANY AND MOST OF ALL,WELL RUN.. :)CU ALL AGAIN AND AGAIN ...GI.JAN X ROLLINGSTONES X ZEUS  Cool Cool Cool.

my sir garret can find it ..yes he can...
DEADLOCK
Superhero Member

I am an AntiquiSearcher...

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 05:57:18 AM »

Good rally nice catch up thank you all, great write up Neil.

saxonman

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 08:17:32 AM »

Excellent showing of finds there ladys&gents.
ancientpat

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 04:14:46 PM »

Great report again Neil as I haven't been able to get to any of the recent rallies I really look forward to your reports.

Pat. Wink Wink
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2012, 04:50:32 PM »

A real pleasure to read about all the exciting finds. Well done Ray on getting the farm, Chef & Taff for their contribution and well done Neil on the pics and report.  Also, many thanks to all the marshals for their help on the day.

A great day out and well done DW on reaching 50 not out.

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
James

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2012, 08:15:40 PM »

Great finds guys, Wink Good report Neil they are always a good read. keep up the good work team DW

Not to brag but I get Hammered weekly! usually on a Friday night !!!
Peter Reavill - FLO
Rally attendee

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2012, 04:14:49 PM »

Dear all,

Long time no see

Just a quick note to ask those who found material at this Herefordshire Rally to report their finds to your local FLO - as a number of people have said in this thread roman material from this area is scarce and so any additional information really does make a difference to the archaeology of the county. There are some really nice finds in amongst these - the Bronze Key - looks to be relatively early and is likely to be for a casket, the seal is a stunner - and with some careful work I think the original owner can be traced - not sure what it shows but it could be swans or as other suggest pelicans (in piety).

If you report via your local FLO I have created a rally page for this on the revamped PAS database  - could you ask them to link your finds directly to that so they are all kept together as a group http://finds.org.uk/database/rallies/rally/id/247

Reporting your finds shouldn't be complicated or difficult - if it is simpler then you can report via email (with a good quality photo - including a scale (such as a ruler), weight and measurements as well as grid reference to me at peter.reavill@shropshire.gov.uk 

I have also had a chat with Laura Burnett (FLO for Somerset) who is coming to your rally on Sunday 29th July -but just in the morning. She says: " I will record any of the finds from the Herefordshire Rally if there is time and if I am not too inundated". If you could take them along at the beginning of the day she can get them done before the new finds start being made and reported. To make her life easier if you could gently clean your finds (see: http://finds.org.uk/conservation) and have the grid references available  (http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm) that would be a great help.

If people have problems with getting grid references then email me and I can send the factsheet I have on where's the path which might help using it.

If there is anything else feel free to email me as I seldom check any of the forums. If you want me to comment on something specific also send me the link to the relevant page / thread. Hopefully see you all again when you stray this way into my patch.

All the best
Peter
FLO Hereford and Shropshire

FLO Shropshire and Herefordshire
Portable Antiquities Scheme
digger

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2012, 05:19:48 PM »

Regarding the seal that was found. Can anyone tell me what was the name of the farm we
were on. I need this,as it is now with Mark Lodwick,and he wants a GPS reading so he can
enter it into the database. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks,Stan (Digger )

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal