Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed to ID these "things"  (Read 2706 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: December 06, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »

Now I know I should know the answer to this question but after all my years detecting I have to admit I don't.
Although I may have found them in the past I can't honestly say I have found them in the same profusion as I have recently, I first came across them in one field and thought they were some type of rivet from overalls or the like but after finding about 8 I decided that they were peculiar to the field. This idea has now changed as I am finding them on different sites, miles apart.
So I am now beginning to think that it is the Nautilus which is picking them up. My guess is that they are the tops from the dreaded penicillin tubes we find everywhere (they must of had them).
All have been found within 2" of the surface and are made of aluminium and are the same size as a brass rivet from a pair of jeans.
If anyone else has found them regularly, could you please post what machine you use as I am trying to work out the minimum detection on some machines. (yes I did say minimum) Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:59:06 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
trojan

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:43:14 PM »

they look like poper bases you know the old canvas tarpaulin that you could pop closed with the studs on trailer covers tents lorry tarpaulin etc

E-Track CTX 3030
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 04:45:28 PM »

Yes they do Trojan but they are far too small, they are roughly 8mm across
trojan

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 04:51:15 PM »

only other ting i can think of if they are only 8mm in size is drill caps for seeding , you know when a farmer seeds his fields they use a drill system and inside the main drill valves are changeable sized drill caps so the flow of the seeds can be controlled. but i haven't seen any close up before, so ill have to go and look at some on one of the farms 

E-Track CTX 3030
jtalbot0001

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 07:12:12 PM »

Hey Geoff,

I have to say I find loads of these things as well!! I haven't a clue what they are but always presumed they were fairly modern. I use an Etrac as you know!! I always dig them cause they sound too good to not dig up.

Cheers,
Jon

THE TALBOT MOTTO: "To sniff out all things old and beautiful." ....... Just because I'm extinct doesn't mean I can't sniff out the hammereds!
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 07:27:38 PM »

Thanks Jon, yes they give a fantastic "hit" for their size. Interesting that you are the only Etrac user so far to of found them. Depending how many responses I get I may ask you for your settings, if that's ok. Neither the Etrac or SE found them as far as I remember but that could be down to the settings I use.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 07:56:58 PM »

I've had plenty of them with the Fisher F75. Don't know what they are, but they always sound like a good target (small hammered).
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 08:05:58 PM »

Thanks Peter, that figures as the F75 is running at just under 14 Khz which is the same as the Nautilus.
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 08:33:04 PM »

tops of penecilin tubes they are,i live next to a dairy farm ,and detect there regulary and i usually come across these little buggers with the se,i usually find less of em on other dairy farms which i find strange ...

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 08:39:09 PM »

Your a star Paul, thanks for that. Just another quick question do you tend to find them at a particular depth?
nfl
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 08:55:44 PM »

i find these at various depths,on the surface or under the ground average 3 to 7 inches....give of a lovely signal. Grin 

2012 finds
29 hammys
24 other silver coins pre 1947
2 silver thimbles,,,,2 parts gold medi ring
half noble coin weight
3 silver roman
celtic broach
celtic terret ring
b/a  axe head
1 pilgrims ampulla {1350-1450}
12thc personnel lead seal matrix
2 parts fibula 1 complete
14thc ring broac
benny

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 09:57:08 PM »

Found loads of them myself with the Tejon Geoff-they are actually the top part of a pop rivet used for fixing together sheets of metal eg.a corrugated tin barn roof. Over time the metal sheeting expands and contracts with the change in temperatures and they come apart. Then when they muck out the barns,the rivets get spread on the fields with the shit! Hope this explains it and yeah they give off a damn good signal too!
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 10:38:02 PM »

Benny yo da man.....
AHHH now that's the best explanation I've heard. And when I spoke to Taff about these the other night, I said if my theories are right the one person who will have found them is Benny with his "animal".
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:39:57 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Meatslicer

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 12:34:46 AM »

Can I suggest an alternative. They look like the backs of ear tabs that are used to identify dairy and beef cattle. I have a complete one somewhere in my junk box that has the front on with the cows id and date of patent etc. with one of these squashed rings on the back to hold it on the ear. The one I have is an american design and the patent is american too.

They are not used so often now because they had a habit of ripping out of the ear. The tabs you see now have a lot of plastic and round edges so the tab stays on.

Hope this helps

Eric

22 Roman  Coins
13 Hammered
4 Georgian Silver
4 Silver love tokens
8 Victorian  Silver
40 Victorian Copper
6 Edwardian Silver
7 George IV
4 George V
0 Gold Coins