Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning old(ish) copper alloys  (Read 5411 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« on: October 24, 2011, 04:16:10 PM »

Well this is definitely one of those occasions that I wished I had taken a before pic Cry I was out with Pipster last Monday and we had a bit of a non finds day to say the least and those we did find were odd!
One huge signal turned out to be a lions paw, which we presumed to be the foot of a pot, lamp, furniture OK OK we didn't have a clue lol, but it was in quite a state as far as being reddy brown with green spots of coper corrosion.
Well now I'm planning a trip to the scrap man to get rid of all my copper and lead bits soon and I was about to dump it in the box, when I thought "I wonder" and decided to give it a clean.
Now the point of this post is to show how you can clean some item (of no value or importance) to a reasonable state.
This can be used with modern coins too and will usually get them to a spendable standard. I popped the paw in a neat solution of "Metal cleaner and restorer" which is made by Swarfega and is available at B&Q.

I left it in this for 8 hours (it only attacks corrosion not metal) and then gave it a wash in soapy water and a quick Patented RJM wire brushing with a brass shoe brush (not steel) even a stiff tooth brush will do it. .

The pink areas are where the copper is leaching out of the brass and nothing can be done about those but with this method it cleans right into the corners, That's why it is not recommended for anything old, or that you wish to show it's age.
If using this please remember this is an acid and while not in the immediate burn family of acids care must be taken not to get it in your eyes or mouth. Here is a link to it's COSHH sheet.
http://www.lcp-automotive.co.uk/swarfegamsds/metalclean.pdf
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 04:30:37 PM by Chef Geoff » Logged
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 04:35:01 PM »

very impressive chef , top tip there mate

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 05:08:21 PM »

I like that - its come up great Chef - well done for adding the COSSH form details as well - very H&S aware of you mate!

Not sure I would attempt it with anything of a great age or dare I say Roman! Grin

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 05:19:37 PM »

Grin no I don't think I would either, in fact anything earlier than 1900 would be pushing it for me. Wink
Zeus (Joel)
Restricted Member

Garrett Euro Ace

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 05:31:37 PM »

Thats nice..... not sure i would be scrapping it tho

2013 Finds

6 hammered
0 gold
0 Roman
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 05:34:36 PM »

LOL Joel, when you've been detecting for 33 years you tend to amass quite a few of these "I'll keep that" bit's of junk. Sorry did I say "a few"? I meant tons Grin
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 05:37:59 PM »

I told you my technique was good. I must get around to patenting my brush!  Grin

Zeus (Joel)
Restricted Member

Garrett Euro Ace

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 07:26:43 PM »

What's the size of it Geoff ?

Seeing as I am a hoarder and not get rid of anything I can just imagine what I will have in 20 years time lol
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:30:14 PM by zeus ( Joel ) » Logged

2013 Finds

6 hammered
0 gold
0 Roman
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 08:01:10 PM »

Not the smallest thing to have lying around. If I had kept everything I would need my own warehouse or another divorce Grin

* P1000385.JPG (202.25 KB, 700x618 - viewed 520 times.)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal