Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Victoria Cross Medal Find  (Read 7419 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: November 07, 2016, 08:34:26 PM »

Not my story but a friends......

✅ VICTORIA CROSS MEDAL update: from a member of my metal detecting group on Facebook Tobias Nehmy Neto
and what a fantastic story as well.........

On the 17th December last year, whilst metal detecting on the River Thames foreshore in London, I came across an artefact which I subsequently determined to be a Victoria Cross medal, dated 5th November 1854.

Over the last few months, I have invested a substantial amount of time researching the origin of my find which I reported to the Museum of London. I have been supported in this work by Ms Kate Sumnall, the Finds Liaison Officer, at the Museum of London. My aim has been to establish to whom the medal had been awarded and how it ended up on the Thames foreshore.

I'm very pleased to inform you that the Victoria Cross medal was awarded to John Byrne, a Sergeant of the 68th Regiment of Foot, who fought at the Battle of Inkerman in the Crimean Peninsula in 1854. Sergeant Byrne was the first soldier of The Durham Light Infantry to be awarded the Victoria Cross.

According to our investigations, Sergeant Byrne, originally from County Kilkenny, Ireland, moved to Newport, Wales, in 1879. At that time, Sergeant Byrne was involved in a fight allegedly related to the award of his Victoria Cross medal. Sergeant Byrne accidentally, or in self defence, shot his assailant in the shoulder. In a fit of regret and despair, Sergeant Byrne fled to London, disposed of his Victoria Cross medal in the River Thames, and subsequently returned to Newport. On the following day, Sergeant Byrne was found dead in his house at Crown Street, Newport: he had committed suicide.

This summer, I took the opportunity to visit St Woolos cemetery in Newport where Sergeant Byrne was reported to have been buried. I was very pleased to find his gravestone with his name.

Recently I was approached by the Museum of London which offered to hold an exhibition about the Victoria Cross medal I found. The exhibition will run from 10th November for 6 weeks, almost a year since I first found it.

handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:54:51 PM »

great story Kev. a very interesting read indeed.

last weekend our club had a small rally and we turned up a military button with 69 on it ... it turns out to be a royal welsh button, One of their citations is rourkes drift! ... and to cap it off, the farmers wife has welsh connections!!!

we also had a 26th and 64th turn up .... in fact 5 buttons of the 64th were recovered!

But as for the victoria cross story ... thats superb!  well done

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
wagis
NWDD Member

gravity always gets me down

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:13:30 PM »

wow what a story and how sad it ended for the person
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 12:31:06 AM »

Thanks for posting that story Kev.

Great find, good research and result.

My Great Grand Father & Mother are buried in St.Woolos cemetery. He, John Copp, saved some men from drowning when the small ferry boat they were in capsized. I have a News Paper clip of the incident. Unfortunately he wasn't awarded any medals.

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
hotmill
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 08:33:18 AM »

That's a great story! Well done on the find and the research.

XP Deus user
dingdong
Superhero Member

MAD COWS EAT METAL DETECTORISTS !!!🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂🐂

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 08:48:27 AM »

Many,many thanks for posting a great story,YOU deserve a medal for all the research and time you put in to bring your quest to a very successful ending......👏👏👏👏👏.......👍
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:23:50 PM by dingdong » Logged
marknewbury1

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 02:50:39 PM »

How excellent find and research
wittsy1

Where am I?

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 03:35:45 PM »

That's the sort of story I like, thanks very much for sharing.
Resurgam
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 07:35:29 AM »

A superb find, well researched, and interestingly presented. A sad end to a brave and noble man who was probably suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome. Not for him the lavish support of counselling and continued recognition of his bravery on the battle field. I hear tell that after the battle of Rork's Drift, the top brass said that they did no more than fight like rats in a trap.  Angry

I guess that some things "must" have changed since then?

Minelab Safari + Quest Q40 + Garrett ProPointer + Patience, Persistence, Knowledge, and loads of determination. Wink
jimjoiner
NWDD Member

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 06:14:17 PM »

Great story well done.
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 11:26:57 PM »

interesting post thanks for sharing
Johnboy25

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 05:28:50 PM »

Great story,thanks for posting it.

Pages: [1]