Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur prospector finds 5kg nugget of gold in Australian bush worth £200K  (Read 2218 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 17, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »

By Mario Ledwith

An amateur prospector has discovered a once-in-a-lifetime find in the most unlikely of places - finding a huge lump of gold worth £200,000 in the Australian bush.

Using only a handheld detector, the unnamed novice was amazed when he found the y-shaped nugget 60cm underground near the town of Ballarat in Victoria.

Struck gold: An amateur prospector found a 5.5kg gold nugget, expected to fetch £200,000 at auction, near the town of Ballarat, Australia

Goldmine: The nugget was discovered 60cm underground near the town of Ballarat, where gold has been sought by prospectors for decades, in Australia's Victoria state

The prospector was using a state-of-the-art detector, allowing him to locate the 'extremely rare' nugget in previously searched ground.

But despite the enormity of the find, the man initially thought he had detected 'the bonnet of a car' before seeing a 'glint of gold'.

Perhaps not quite believing his luck, friends revealed how the man kept cleaning the piece and 'the gold kept expanding and expanding'.

Excitement: Ballarat Mining Exchange Gold Shop owner Cordell Kent said the man rushed home to tell his wife after the discovery and is planning to pay off bills with the funds

Ballarat Mining Exchange Gold Shop owner and dealer Cordell Kent said: 'I have been a prospector and dealer for two decades, and cannot remember the last time a nugget over 100 ounces (2.8kg) has been found locally.'

He said the anonymous prospector is a 'person that really deserves it' revealing that he rushed to tell his wife after finding it.

Mr Kent revealed: 'He is going to pay off a lot of bills and pay off his house - it’s a real life changer.

'It’s extremely significant as a mineral specimen. We are 162 years into a gold rush and Ballarat is still producing nuggets - it’s unheard of.'

Gold currently trades in Australia at about $1,600 (£1,050) per ounce but because finding a piece weighing more than a kilogram is so rare this adds a premium.

He added: 'There has been many prospectors that have walked past the exact place where the nugget was found and have missed it with an ordinary detector and did not have the technology to find it…that’s why this guy found it.

'This detector he used is the best there is, it goes deeper and further into the ground, better than others.

The nugget measures 220mm in length, is 140mm wide and 45mm at its deepest point.

The trader also expected the find to attract a lot more prospectors to the area, saying: 'A finding like this gives people hope.

'There's nothing like digging up money, it's good fun.'

* article-2263873-16FEA754000005DC-116_634x477.jpg (76.86 KB, 634x477 - viewed 824 times.)

* article-2263873-16FEA750000005DC-479_306x423.jpg (42.27 KB, 306x423 - viewed 795 times.)

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Zeus (Joel)
Restricted Member

Garrett Euro Ace

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 05:59:57 PM »

Don't let Badgers see this or he will be on the next plane out  Grin Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:11:11 PM by handyman [Alan} » Logged

2013 Finds

6 hammered
0 gold
0 Roman
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 06:11:29 PM »

Don't let Badgers see this or he will be on the next plane out  Grin Grin Grin Grin

........................ all the more for us, if he goes!!!  Grin Grin Grin

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
Detectski

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »

Call that a nugget, I'll show you a nugget....

'Hand of faith' was 27kg!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hand_of_faith1.JPG

'Welcome stranger' was 78kg  Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_Stranger

Note to self, while metal detecting in Australia never just say "pah coke can" and move on....
geordiefred

Bristol

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 01:54:25 AM »

cant imagine any metal detector missing that beauty, and the signal would blow your ears off  Grin Grin Grin

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
 You have to grow old, but growing up is entirely optional
dances with badgers
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »

ow lets go lol Shocked. nice corn flake there.been offered a trip out there and work but far tooo hot for me plus i aint into creepey crawlys,snakes and insects that can live in your wellies and kill u dead Grin

if music be the food of love ,sing me a trifle.
 2012 WITH ETRAC,PULSEPOWER GOLDSCAN MK2 and SOVEREIGN ELITE     
gold = loads lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal