Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles I coin found by Newport man  (Read 1309 times)
Kev
Superhero Member

"there as got to be more there " SE & XS user

« on: December 14, 2011, 04:06:49 PM »

Peter Reavill, left, from the British Museum with coin finder Tony Baker

Close-up: The Charles I Declaration shilling Tony Baker unearthed near Newport

Tony Baker’s heart skipped a beat as he dusted off the Charles I Declaration Shilling, dated 1642.

Mr Baker said it was one of the most exciting moments of 40 years as a detectorist. “I have found a lot of artefacts, but this is probably the most important,” he said.

“It’s amazing to think I was the first person to handle the coin for over 300 years. It’s been buried all that time.

“I just thought ‘wow’. It gives you a real kick when you find something like that.”

The exact location of the find is being kept a close guarded secret to prevent nighthawking, or illegal detecting.

It is now in the hands of Peter Reavill, the finds liaison officer for Shropshire and Herefordshire, to establish whether it was minted in Shrewsbury or Oxford.

The coin, which dates back to the start of the English Civil War, could fetch more than Ł1,000 at auction.

But Mr Baker said he would loan the coin to the new heritage centre based at Newport’s Guildhall, on High Street.

He added: “It’s reasonably valuable, but I don’t do it for the money.

“History is first and then money is secondary.

“It was found locally so it will be nice for people to be able to see it.”

The coin, which was discovered about three weeks ago, was on display at a finds day at the Guildhall on Saturday.

Organiser and Newport History Society chairman Julian Meesom said: “It is an immensely rare and important coin. It is thought only 1,000 still exist.

“Tony is an extremely experienced detectorist. He has no intention of selling, which is great because it means we can put it on display.”

Mr Meesom said the finds day had been a resounding success and another was planned. “We had about 80 people through the door and as well as the coin people brought Saxon metalwork.

“We will organise another as there is clearly an interest around Newport.”

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:08:29 PM by Casa-Dos (kev) » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal