Hoards found by Detectorists part 1 - The Hoxne Hoard . . .

(1/4) > >>

Neil:
I know most of you will already know about this Roman hoard that was found by a detectorist, but I thought a few of our newer members might like to see what literally was found just a few inches below the soil!

The Hoxne Hoard, found in 1992 by a metal detectorist and has been described as the finest Roman hoard ever discovered in Britain. Its items are not of the impressive size of those from Mildenhall, but their shear numbers and exquisite quality make them stand out. Around 200 gold and silver objects along with 14,780 (mostly silver) coins - the accumulated wealth of an important Roman family - were carefully wrapped in cloth and packed in wooden boxes, some with tiny silver padlocks, in the very last days of the Roman occupation of Britain (after AD 407). Both jewellery and plate are represented, as well as more personal items such as a golden body chain and ear cleaners! There are 19 gold bracelets, 78 silver spoons, 20 ladles and a series of modelled figures, four of them silver gilt pepperpots in the shape of an Empress (possibly Helen), an ibex, a hound chasing a hare and Hercules wrestling with Antaeus. Exceptional is the inlaid prancing tigress, once part of a large silver vase. There are several inscriptions and one of the main owners appears to have been a man named Aurelius Ursicinus.

Legacy Hunter:
They are lovely great finds
debs

1morecoin:
That is one of my favourite Hoards, I saw some of the coins and artefacts on display a few years back, absolutely fantastic.

Makes my Hoard look like a purse loss :'(

bymatt666 (byron):
magnificent !!..oh to be so lucky..... ;).....byron

waltonbasinman:
Hell Neil it does leave you drooling. I have looked at pics of the hoard a few times over the years and what a fantastic find for any body and you would not complain if you found just half of that. Thanks for the inspiration Neil and even though I can hardly walk at the moment It just makes you want to be out there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page