Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Rally cancelled because of archaeologists  (Read 13030 times)
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 06:42:55 PM »

Oh well that is their job after all Undecided
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 06:56:46 PM »

To go beyond her remit and bombard the landowners on the phone with horror stories about detecting rallies

And totally discredit the hobby of metal detecting

Is that  in her terms of reference Geoff  Huh

Deus 2013

Hammies: 32
Saxon gilded saucer brooch 1
Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 07:04:44 PM »

Well unless you have spoken to the farmer then it's all hear say but to try and protect archaeological sites then yes that's their job.
I know nothing about the site in question but their very actions tell something about it's suspected content so the thought of 150 people wandering around with spades doesn't fill me with glee as an advert for the hobby.
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 07:19:26 PM »

It is not an archaeological site, and its certainly not her job to bombard the landowner with phone calls discrediting are hobby.

Your holding a weekend rally in a Roman medieval location so what is the difference between your rally and the Cotswold rally

Nothing and that's the point of the post if this starts happening rallies will be the something of the past

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 07:38:05 PM »

Right from day one that rally was advertised as an archaeologically "sensitive" site. Sites don't have to be scheduled to be archaeological Huh If there is valuable information to be gained by the pro's doing it then let them do it, as I say I know nothing about the site or it's history but I do know that the DW land has no known below ground features and therefore no objections from the county archaeologist.
I don't agree with the tactics "if" that's what happened but unfortunately views and stories become polarised when things like this happen and the truth becomes the first casualty. No doubt a more rational and truthful explanation will emerge in time.
There are over 33 million acres of land in England, I don't think 150 are worth loosing sleep over.
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »

copied from Cardiff scan club ,just had this email from Acorn Detecting:

"This is a very difficult email to have to send and we are all completely devastated by the turn of events over the past 24 hours, so it is with heavy heart that we have to inform you that the Cotswold Rally has to be cancelled.
The landowners have reached a point where they feel that the only option left open to them is to withdraw.
We are not into the blame game, nor naming names, however, some individuals, and one individual in particular has made this glorious pastime of ours a ' dirty word ' and petty, small mindedness has damaged our unblemished reputation hugely.
We hope very much that there will be understanding and compassion on your part and all others involved and that people will support us through this.
We genuinely are very sorry and upset for you all.
All monies in terms of cheques are in the process of being returned."

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 07:56:09 PM »

Pity they're not "into the blame game, nor naming names" as it just fuels the rumour mill and could be anything from archaeologist to nighthawk Huh
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 08:11:30 PM »

well what ever the reason it must have been very serious for the farmer to turn down a very healthy payday

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
relichunting
Restricted Member

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:02 PM »

Geoff

The rally was not advertised as an archaeologically "sensitive" site

How can they be gaining valuable information by stopping a rally

Acorn metal detecting club are proud to announce our Cotswold rally on the Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th September 2013.

This is in a historical area in the heart of the beautiful Cotswolds and on undetected land.
For further information please contact

If the stories are true I think its absolutely disgraceful what has gone on

Deus 2013

Roman nail cleaner 1
Roman brooches 4
Roman silver 2
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 09:37:01 PM »

Sorry not advertised but the first I heard of it a while ago it was said to be a sensitive area. I think it's not so much what they are gaining but avoiding what they could lose.
I've been to enough rallies to know that no matter how many FLO's are on site things a minority of finds don't get recorded and I hate to say that your average detectorist doesn't know enough about rally sites (not their fault, sites are generally kept secret) to know when a find is important to it.
Anyway it's cancelled and we shall wait for the truth to out Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 11:00:37 PM »

Looking at the rally farm on Google earth its been ploughed for many years.

Also on old os maps the surrounding fields gets ploughed each year with earthworks clearly in them. 
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 08:24:12 AM »

Cotswold Rally Was cancelled

This is down to someone at the council archaeology department who thought it was their business to go beyond their remit and bombard the landowners on the phone with horror stories about detecting rallies

What a shame it has been cancelled, Sad still I expect the nighthawks will be attending at some point and then neither the Archaeologists, FLO's,or indeed the Landowner will ever know what was found Huh Angry
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 08:36:37 AM »

I would think that given its location, they have visited it many times over the last 40 years Undecided
Chef Geoff
Dark Lord

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 08:42:14 AM »

Not that it's important but who are Acorn Metal detecting club? I'm not that up on clubs but this one is a new one on me. Huh

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal