Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 66 ancient Gold coins found in Iraq . . .  (Read 1856 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 09, 2013, 02:27:25 PM »

Iraqi archaeologists have found 66 gold coins that are at least 1,400 years old, officials said on Monday, adding that they hope to put them on display in Baghdad’s National Museum.

The artefacts, which date back to the Sassanid era that extended from 225 BC to 640 AD, will be sent for laboratory tests in order to confirm their authenticity.

They were discovered in the town of Aziziyah, which lies 70 kilometres (40 miles) southeast of Baghdad in Wasit province, according to Hassanain Mohammed Ali, director of the provincial antiquities department.

The coins bore drawings of a king or god and depicted flames, he said.

Many of Iraq’s archaeological sites have been vandalised and encroached upon in recent decades, but especially in the years following the US-led invasion of 2003. The capital’s National Museum was also looted in its aftermath.

At the time, nearly 32,000 pieces were stolen from 12,000 archaeological sites across Iraq, and 15,000 others disappeared from the National Museum in Baghdad, according to official figures.

Thousands of artefacts were also taken before the invasion in illegal excavations at remote sites.

During the rule of now-executed dictator Saddam Hussein, Iraq enforced laws protecting historical sites.

But since his overthrow, such laws have seen lax enforcement and the government has prioritised reconstruction of the war-battered country over preservation of its heritage sites.

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
WeCan-Octavian
Superhero Member

''On it like Sonic''

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »

Spent 10 months in that war torn country, they can keep their bloody gold!!!!!

''By order of the long haired general'' I now use a Minelab !!!!!
carling

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 06:18:55 PM »

they might as well send em to my house  Grin,, sounds like they aint going to stay long in the baghdad museum Grin
handyman [Alan}
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 06:25:36 PM »

don;t tell badgers, whatever u do.  He'll be on the 1st plane out.  Grin Grin Grin

"In America, feng shui is just aiming all of your furniture at the TV!"
rjm
Superhero Member

XP Deus

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »

Well, at least they're being recorded with the FLO, Alan!  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal