Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 
dances with badgers
December 26, 2023, 10:41:07 PM
 This site used to be amazing, where has everybody gone? 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: a hoard if your lucky  (Read 4798 times)
Mike
Superhero Member

« on: December 29, 2014, 04:50:10 PM »

well the year ends with another huge find at the weekend wanderers rally for 1 very lucky ( and happy ) detectorist .

iv just done a little maths and over the history of DW rallies ( 84 ) a provisional guess of around 30k - 40k of detecting hours and 1 hoard ( 2 axes ) found , that's a lot of detecting for 1 hoard , makes you think how lucky you have to be to hit one  Shocked Shocked , we all live in hope that one day it will be us  Smiley Smiley  lets hope its sooner rather than later , good luck everyone for next year  Smiley

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
nobby
Superhero Member

Wanna be boy band....

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »

not just down to luck either.....I think the knew train of thought for 2015 is dig those iffy signals , and don't give in and refill those holes if you cant find it in the first 8 inches Wink

“I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.”
Mike
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »

not just down to luck either.....I think the knew train of thought for 2015 is dig those iffy signals , and don't give in and refill those holes if you cant find it in the first 8 inches Wink

fair shout mate , I wonder how many hoards have been found but not dug up  Shocked

NEVER TRUST A FART !!!!!!!
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 07:13:32 PM »

That's a good shout nobby, I agree Wink and it's just aswell we don't know MIke  Grin Grin
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 07:24:45 PM »

Very true Nobby as that comparison video by Tombs that Deadlock put up shows when good targets drop out of id'able range they can start to id as iron. Undecided
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 07:37:08 PM »

Very true Nobby as that comparison video by Tombs that Deadlock put up shows when good targets drop out of id'able range they can start to id as iron. Undecided

Also the more simple machine seems to do a good job at finding the hoards, the Cumbrian hack silver hoard was found with a Garrett like many others, being out with Stever there don't seem to be any faint signal its just the bell tone, il get a faint quiet deep signal and get him to run his machine over and it gives a load bell tone I think its a advantage for the hoards? But as other has said you got to be prepared to dig 
IFINDNOTHING

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 08:21:54 PM »

Is 384 20p gaming tokens from the "Dirty Duck"  classed as a hoard Smiley. Even that was good digging them up, what a real hoard must be like, I can only dream, and probably will do for the rest of my life.

Quote "Don't ever give up hope, there's something out there, all you have to do is hold on and believe" Axl Rose-1988
alun

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 08:25:15 PM »

I think most of us have dug tractor parts in hope  they maybe that something special. I will wait my turn, and take the buiscuit barrels and tractor bits as they come. One day maybe one day. Still waiting for a good hammie.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
bristolminelab
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 08:45:09 PM »

i think i leave targets to quickly thinking they are iron  Huh and am always having a go at the wife spending to long on what seems like big iron ,  Huh maybe i will invest in a longer handle to my spade and maybe on one of the signals i will get lucky Wink
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 08:57:49 PM »

Brings to mind the biggest word in the English Language.................................IF

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Dungbeetle
NWDD Member
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 09:28:12 PM »

My last " hoard " was a 4.5 kg lump of lead at over 18 inches ! Still nice to dream about though.
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 12:42:36 AM »

When I first started, I knew nothing about detecting and dug every signal - then I discriminated out too much - for a couple of years I dug almost no old pennies as I was only looking for low grunty roman signals,.......

Now I dig a lot more again - more in some places than others.

All I can say is, that you can walk over a field for years - and still miss a hoard - hopefully I'll be able to tell you one day......
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 10:18:58 AM »

When I first started, I knew nothing about detecting and dug every signal - then I discriminated out too much - for a couple of years I dug almost no old pennies as I was only looking for low grunty roman signals,.......

All I can say is, that you can walk over a field for years - and still miss a hoard - hopefully I'll be able to tell you one day......
Ha Ha good for you but if it's my field I'd rather not know if it's all the same to you Probo  Wink Wink
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 04:41:41 PM »

Roland just show a photo you don't need to tell us yet Cheesy Wink
Spooyt Vane
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »

You can lower your odds of finding a hoard by research. Placenames surveys with a check for welsh field names that mean gold or silver included..Ordance Survey maps of 1869 that mark some of the find spots oi previous hoards..Old newspapers that have been indexed to micro film..Folklore and family tales  that a find on a certain farm has been made in the past by great  grandfather..and these are just a few lines of enquiry..I come from a island 12miles by 33 miles and we estimate that nearly seventy hoards have been found here in the last 300 yrs ,rannging from Viking,through to Tudor..We also believe that the biggest hoard is yet come by a detectorist..HAPPY HUNTING 2015 ROB.. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal