Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Field.  (Read 2164 times)
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« on: March 15, 2013, 09:22:02 PM »

Decided to take a visit to the field I found a lead roman snake? and some Roman 4th century bronzes, posted a short while ago,  I knew it had been ploughed however on arrival it was clear searching was going to be near impossible due to the depth of the ploughing  as nice as it was to see I never search in conditions such as this, you just miss to many signals but as I had walked a good way I decided to have a go for the fun of it, and to prove a point I never had  1 positive signal that said as you can see I did end up picking up Roman pot including some iron age( see bottom of group shot) and a large what could be a foot of a storage jar??? Defiantly Roman thou, also a nice piece of a rim with diamond shape pattern on, the frustrating thing is the field will not be worked down for a couple more weeks as the farmer needs to wait till we get no more frosts then it will be seeded with linseed and conditions will be perfect for good search and I will report on any finds that come to light. I know it’s only pottery but still an interesting few hours I thought I would share with you.

* 011.JPG (89.36 KB, 448x336 - viewed 586 times.)

* 012.JPG (104.4 KB, 448x336 - viewed 569 times.)

* 013.JPG (92.57 KB, 448x336 - viewed 578 times.)

* 014.JPG (94.45 KB, 448x336 - viewed 574 times.)

* 019.JPG (97.57 KB, 448x336 - viewed 799 times.)
congerman
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:01:57 PM »

very interesting finds well done nice to see other interesting items
probono
Superhero Member

Nihi nisi sub sole

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 11:39:08 PM »

The top pottery with the cross-hatching looks like part of a 'dog-dish' / 'pie-dish' as my parents always called them - apparently you can tell the century they come from by the density of hatching and whether the lozenage shapes caused by the hatching are longer vertictally or horizontally. Don't ask me which is which.

I think the other large piece of pot could be the base of a thin amphora - certainly the massiveness of the pottery looks like it.
alun

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:38:06 AM »

That field looks like hell. You did well to find the pottery to spikey ,

Good finds, look forward to seeing your next visits results.

Roman Artefacts: 6
Gold:         3
Medieval 15
Silver:34
Etrac
AT Pro
Whites
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 08:51:51 AM »

very interesting finds well done nice to see other interesting items
Cheers congerman,sometimes its not all about nice metalic finds as we all know Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 08:56:59 AM »

That field looks like hell. You did well to find the pottery to spikey ,

Good finds, look forward to seeing your next visits results.
To be honest alun theres so much pottery it's hard to miss, the strange thing is you would expect with that amount of pottery it should be prolific in finds, lead is plentifull, may be this turn of the plough will rectify eh!!  Wink
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 08:58:43 AM »

The top pottery with the cross-hatching looks like part of a 'dog-dish' / 'pie-dish' as my parents always called them - apparently you can tell the century they come from by the density of hatching and whether the lozenage shapes caused by the hatching are longer vertictally or horizontally. Don't ask me which is which.

I think the other large piece of pot could be the base of a thin amphora - certainly the massiveness of the pottery looks like it.
Thanks for that information probono,Im with you on the amphora Wink
Da Monkey
Superhero Member

secret CTX LuVVeeerrrrrr

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »

To be honest alun theres so much pottery it's hard to miss, the strange thing is you would expect with that amount of pottery it should be prolific in finds, lead is plentifull, may be this turn of the plough will rectify eh!!  Wink

I love picking up pottery, dont know why as I cant really ID it at all, great to see your finds Spikey, you'll have some fun when you can get on the field properly Smiley  I'd be quite happy just hunting the pottery...

BOOOOMMMM  BABBBBEEHHHHH!!! I've found even more old tat !!!     Grin Grin
celticspikey
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 10:36:08 AM »

I love picking up pottery, dont know why as I cant really ID it at all, great to see your finds Spikey, you'll have some fun when you can get on the field properly Smiley  I'd be quite happy just hunting the pottery...
With you there mate trouble is my shed is stacked up with it, may be when I retire from detecting I will throw it all in a local field and see how excited the local archaeologists gets Grin Grin.  Only joking boys and girls Wink Roll Eyes
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 01:32:58 PM »

And there was me waxing lyrical  about 1 piece of pottery, def.I.D'd as late 12th or early 13th cent. and some iron slag.

Just the same as 1 swallow does not a Summer make, so with my piece of pottery.  Looks like you could have some real good detecting there. Wink Grin

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
glynkid

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 05:21:09 AM »

interesting pottery hope the coins turn up in the future

glyn kid

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal