Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monday last  (Read 1575 times)
Christoph1945
« on: June 20, 2014, 05:24:12 PM »

On Monday I decided to take a look at my permissions and was disappointed to find that the grass was thigh high on most of my fields and still waiting to be dry enough for hay making. Some fields that were as short as bowling greens were full of horses and out of bounds for the present moment. Two other fields were still full of winter wheat and looking very green!

Not to be out done by nature I decided to work my temporary permission at a building project and took the EuroAce along with the Nel Tornado coil. Even here the grass was growing well and a large section of the fields were unworkable. A large perimeter section where the grass was a little shorter turned out to be quite workable and despite the blazing sun, I put in 5 hours detecting and was rewarded with approximately £1.80p in decimal, a selection of lead, copper, brass, and three older coins. ( A big George III penny, an Edward VII penny, and a George VI ship halfpenny. )

The site continues to throw up plenty of decimal coinage, loads of lead/copper/and brass, and even part of an old silver pocket watch. Sadly..........no hammered coins or gold yet!   Cry

* Monday last.jpg (114.66 KB, 359x514 - viewed 488 times.)
Doug

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »

Well done, a lot of hard digging there in the heat.
Christoph1945
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 05:46:07 PM »

Hi Doug,
                it was tough going but rather enjoyable. Sadly, I didn't take enough liquid refreshment with me but that was a lesson well learned. You wouldn't know when they harvest winter wheat would you?  Undecided

I'm guessing that by next week my farmers will have cut and harvested the hay fields and I will be able to get stuck in. I have even contemplated buying a Nel Big coil for the EuroAce and giving those fields a good going over!  Wink
Chef Geoff
Archaeological and Hardware Advisor
Dark Lord

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 05:57:57 PM »

Winter wheat starts coming off 1st week of August as a cereal crop but a month earlier if being used for fodder Wink
Christoph1945
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »

Thanks Geoff; I should have asked the farmer when he told me that  they were sowing winter wheat in those fields!  Smiley
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »

Well done Chris for getting out in this weather, any of them coins could of been the gold one!! Wink

Traveling though Somerset to work iv noticed some of the fields and going golden by the day, as for the silage its been a bumper crop!!  Smiley
Christoph1945
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 06:16:36 PM »

Hi Dale,
                 I recon we detectorists are slowly heading into a very busy period and we should stand by to hear of some wonderful finds this year. That is providing our wives allow us out on a long leash!  Roll Eyes
Dale
Superhero Member

Bristol hammies wanted

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 06:19:25 PM »

Hi Dale,
                 I recon we detectorists are slowly heading into a very busy period and we should stand by to hear of some wonderful finds this year. That is providing our wives allow us out on a long leash!  Roll Eyes

Very true, my detecting trips will pick up again soon, im looking forward to it Wink
Doug

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 06:55:38 PM »

Hi Doug,
                it was tough going but rather enjoyable. Sadly, I didn't take enough liquid refreshment with me but that was a lesson well learned. You wouldn't know when they harvest winter wheat would you?  Undecided

I'm guessing that by next week my farmers will have cut and harvested the hay fields and I will be able to get stuck in. I have even contemplated buying a Nel Big coil for the EuroAce and giving those fields a good going over!  Wink

Locally the farmer(s) are getting ready to bring in the winter barley, I seen today on the way back home one farmer had done one cut up through a field.

Depending on weather, any time for winter barley to come in from week 3 of June.

Dependent on weather, another silage cut then into the corn/wheat although some farmers leave it until mid/late August.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:05:09 PM by doug turner » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal