Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cardiff SCAN Rally - Sunday 22nd February 2009  (Read 3572 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: February 22, 2009, 04:22:55 PM »

I was running late for this mornings SCAN Rally and had to leave early due to other commitments, so its only a brief report. Firstly thanks go to Ancient Pat for giving me directions - I found it easily - cheers!

Fourty plus members turned up for the first Rally under our new Chairperson (see I can be politically correct!) The Gods were on our side and granted us a morning of sunlight and birdsong - it truly felt as though spring had finally sprung and sunglasses were the order of the day.

The farm was located in a perfect location, with harvested corn on the cob fields, close to the sea, near a Medieval settlement and having had Roman occupation on site! What more could any detectorist ask for?

My first find of any note was a spectacle buckle from the 1600's. Photos are of in the soil and out of it. Next I found a grotty Roman and a little later a piece of worked bronze that I think is quite early. Doesn't feel like a pot leg to me (I have found quite a few!) -  I have shown it to a few others and we are thinking a blade as its still quite sharp - one for Marc Lodwick I think.

My other finds included the usual splattering of buttons, bullets, Vicky/George Coppers and the general dross.  My final find of the day was a lead spindle whorl. Quite basic in design which makes me lead more towards the Roman than any other period. Who knows - hard to date these things.

I managed to photograph The Hoover's tiny Hammered coin - any ideas anyone? I also got a quick photo of a curious item he had, which I think is a reworked Victorian penny - similar to the spitfire pennies that have been in the Searcher lately. Nice unusual find!

I left early due to another comitment, but at about 2pm I had a message from Mark saying that Jaydogg had found a couple of Lizzie hamsters and that someone (don't know who) had found a Saxon penny!!! A quick call to Jaydogg confirmed all this - its definately Saxon (he's an Archie, so he should know) and in lovely condition. Hopefully someone can post a picture.

Cheers all
Neil

By the way for those interested City drew 2-2 - flaming new Jack goalie scored an own goal with 10 minutes to go! 

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 04:32:21 PM »

More pictures of finds -

My Roman grot

Hooverman's hamster

Hooverman's worked coin

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 04:33:11 PM »

Worked coin

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Mark

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 05:16:20 PM »

Shame you had to leave early Neil, all in all it was a good day, didn’t find much myself but Johnny did very well, and yes, from what I saw, there was indeed a Saxon penny found, looked like a penny of Harthacnut, but I could be wrong.  Either way it was a fantastic find Smiley

Omnia explorate; meliora retinete (BTKG)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:50:32 AM »

Yeah mate - I didn't want to go, had no choice unfortunately.

Love to see a picture of the Saxon coin if anyone has it.

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

PHIL YNYSBOETH
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 03:40:34 PM »

Hi Neil

Sounds like you had a successful Club rally there Fancie inviting a guest for the next one ?lol

Me and 15 plus RARE members to the Leisure Promotions Farnbrough Rally.
300 acre,s of short stubble and Ploughed land.

I think a good day was had by all we managed to come away with a mixed bag of finds
Including Roman and hammered coins (as a coin collector coins are all i really take any notice of lol)
The field was last used 5 years ago and at that time 100 Roman coins where found in one small area you can imagine the buzz around the field.

Good luck with your Future Rallies
All the best Phil Jones
RARE

Charles Cater

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 07:23:50 PM »

I was running late for this mornings SCAN Rally and had to leave early due to other commitments, so its only a brief report. Firstly thanks go to Ancient Pat for giving me directions - I found it easily - cheers!

Fourty plus members turned up for the first Rally under our new Chairperson (see I can be politically correct!) The Gods were on our side and granted us a morning of sunlight and birdsong - it truly felt as though spring had finally sprung and sunglasses were the order of the day.

The farm was located in a perfect location, with harvested corn on the cob fields, close to the sea, near a Medieval settlement and having had Roman occupation on site! What more could any detectorist ask for?

My first find of any note was a spectacle buckle from the 1600's. Photos are of in the soil and out of it. Next I found a grotty Roman and a little later a piece of worked bronze that I think is quite early. Doesn't feel like a pot leg to me (I have found quite a few!) -  I have shown it to a few others and we are thinking a blade as its still quite sharp - one for Marc Lodwick I think.

My other finds included the usual splattering of buttons, bullets, Vicky/George Coppers and the general dross.  My final find of the day was a lead spindle whorl. Quite basic in design which makes me lead more towards the Roman than any other period. Who knows - hard to date these things.

I managed to photograph The Hoover's tiny Hammered coin - any ideas anyone? I also got a quick photo of a curious item he had, which I think is a reworked Victorian penny - similar to the spitfire pennies that have been in the Searcher lately. Nice unusual find!

I left early due to another comitment, but at about 2pm I had a message from Mark saying that Jaydogg had found a couple of Lizzie hamsters and that someone (don't know who) had found a Saxon penny!!! A quick call to Jaydogg confirmed all this - its definately Saxon (he's an Archie, so he should know) and in lovely condition. Hopefully someone can post a picture.

Cheers all
Neil

By the way for those interested City drew 2-2 - flaming new Jack goalie scored an own goal with 10 minutes to go! 

What about Wrexham, Neil, what a bloody team. They would be better off staying were they are.
Did you know they are £4 million pounds in debt. And they want to go up. It's enough to make you weep.

Say nought and you won't be controversial, or so they say?

http://detectoruser.co.uk

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal