Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
Today at 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: SCAN Rally finds for Sunday 19th April 2009 . . .  (Read 8450 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: April 19, 2009, 05:43:47 PM »

Managed to make the rally in the Glorious VoG today despite a hefty hang over! Tongue Before anyone mentions it, it had nothing to do with the pasting that Cardiff City took - although that didn't help. Forgot my camera due to the hangover, but I think Peter took some "live action" shots! These are from my garden.

Very well organised day, with signage and parking on the rolled fields - well done the organisers! 

I started the day almost immediately with a nice little 1700's buckle and then followed the herd into the top part of the field which was full of alloy and general rubbish. After an hour of digging enough aluminium to sink a ship I headed back to my car to take off a layer or two of clothing as the soon was now officially Scorchio! Tongue

Bumped into Borderfox and Phil (who had found a lovely piece with an old cross on it - I'll let him tell you about that!). Borderfox kindly added a bit of magical tinkering to my Explorer and the shortly after I found a short cross cut quarter - who it is - I have no idea.

About 10 foot away I had another decent signal and out popped a battered hammered that fell into two as soon as I touched it! I guessed it was French due to a fleur de lys on the back of the cross. After showing it to a few people and then looking in Spinx about 20 minutes ago I am pretty sure its a hammered coin of Henry 1st 1100-1135 reference 1271 in Spinx. Well done Phil on immediately spotting that - great ID!

Next came a nice fossil still attached to its stone. I seem to find loads of these things - and love doing so. It makes you realise that millions of years ago where we were standing was deep under water, and how easily over time the world has changed. Where will it go in another million years?

My final find of the day (I left quite early due to gardening duties) was the end of a Roman fibula brooch. Nice but has been battered by the plough - shame!

Great day out -  I know Jaydogg had a william IV silver groat and Nick found a silver florin. Any others find anything?

Cheers
Neil
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 06:51:58 PM by Neil » Logged

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 05:44:35 PM »

Fossil - any ideas?

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »

Thanks Millsy - its similar but definately not a Devils Claw - I have dozens of them - this one is a completely different shape.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

hedgehog
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 06:03:46 PM »

Hell Neil , Henry 1's just don't turn up , fantastic day by the look of it!
waltonbasinman
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 07:25:31 PM »

Well done Neil. You guys do seem to pick your ground. Hangover or not you can,t beat a sunny Sunday detecting. I spent it in Hereford shopping with the clan. Oh Joy of Joys.
coleggwent(phil)
Superhero Member

explorer xs user

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:41:24 PM »

hi millsy its easy really ,just told neil to open his eyes anyway neil great dect, great finds regards  fox and vac

theres gold in them hills
explorer xs one of the best
onehorseAl( Al)

FID,Explorer !! & Deus User

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 08:47:16 PM »

Looks like another good days digging,nice lot of finds.
Al Smiley

Let the world go away 'cos I'm Bleeping today.
Tafflaff (Rob)
Deputy Administrator
Superhero Member

Etrac user 55

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 08:54:28 PM »

Neil I think its a fossilised  vertebrae from an Ichyosaur.

There is only so many times one can turn the other cheek.
simon c

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 09:26:31 PM »

Nice finds,don't see many Henry 1st's Smiley
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 11:07:30 PM »

Nice report Neil. Here are a few action shots and finds.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 11:11:34 PM »

Here's Neil looking pleased with himself despite the hangover.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 11:12:34 PM »

Phil's interesting thingy - any ideas?
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 11:13:35 PM »

Jaydogg's Willy
hedgehog
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 11:14:32 PM »

Phil has got an interesting thingy there Peter , but should you be photographing it?  Grin
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 11:16:26 PM »

Tyna's Willy Grin

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal