Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
Today at 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Todays SCAN Rally - 29/03/09  (Read 5604 times)
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: March 29, 2009, 05:18:12 PM »

How did you all get on at the SCAN Rally today?

I am sure there was one and a few of the DetectingWales lot were attending. How did you do?

Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
Jeffc

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 08:00:42 PM »

Hi,Neil. Lovely sunny day and good digging on soft stubble. Don't know final figures but at least 6 hammered and one Roman came up. Not me,unfortunately,although I did get a William 3 sixpence and a 1903 silver 3d. Bit short on numbers though - I think there were only 18 - you must have exhausted a few yesterday.
altinkum

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 08:26:36 PM »

i went for a drive to the rally about 11.30 and spoke to 2 of the lads that were in england yesterday they had 3 hammered between them. i noticed that for a big field there was'nt many there.  mike

explorers, my arse
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:09:27 PM »

Well done on the finds Jeff - sounds like a good day for those that made it.

I only found out about the SCAN rally yesterday - I struggle on a Sunday to get out, so couldn't have made it anyway.

We probably had under 10 SCAN members at the Detectingwales.com rally - the rest were made up of Llanelli, RARE, Bristol, Hereford and lots of Newbies. So I'm guessing that the low numbers may have meant people were not aware it was going on. I know Johnny and Mark didn't know as I spoke to Johnny about 5ish.

Oh well - congratulations on the finds those that went.

Any photos anyone?

Cheers
Neil

There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

If anyone wants to sell any S c r a p gold or sovereigns, regardless of condition -  ask me for a price first please.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 11:07:43 PM »

Another excellent rally. If you weren't there you missed a great day with superb weather, glorious views and even some nice finds.

There were at least 6 hammered found, including a very battered shortcross penny found by our illustrious Chairman Deb, which is her first hammered in a very long time. The pictures show Alan's Edward penny, Leighton's cut half and Roman, and Alun's two hammered - a Lizzie and I think the other one is an Eddie farthing. I also heard late in the day of a Lizzie threepence, but didn't see that one. A few milled silver also turned up, and a range of the usual buckles and buttons etc.

I managed to avoid the hammered once again, but did get what I think is an interesting coin - I thought at first it was just the usual grot halfpenny, but on closer examination I think it's an Irish James II Gunmoney Shilling. I've not cleaned it properly yet but will get a photo up in a day or two. I also had a 16th century knife end-stop, a double loop buckle, a few nice decorated buttons, including a gilt Coast Guard one, and a nice monogrammed horsebrass.

I think this is our last rally for now on this farm, but I think it will be definitely booked again for next year
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 11:15:48 PM by peterh » Logged
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 11:08:43 PM »

Some more of the gang
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 11:10:18 PM »

Scenery
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 11:10:58 PM »

Alan's Eddie penny
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 11:12:04 PM »

Leighton's cut half and Roman, and Alun's two hammered
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 11:14:07 PM »

And not forgetting our ever-present club mascot Brewster
1morecoin
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 05:48:57 PM »

Is that a Silver Siliqua, if so Edward Besly will be impressed to see it, they are like rocking horse poo in Wales, and only two in the vale have been recorded, one being found by myself Grin

Great finds anyway.

Steve.
The Doc
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 05:56:59 PM »

Is that a Silver Siliqua, if so Edward Besly will be impressed to see it, they are like rocking horse poo in Wales, and only two in the vale have been recorded, one being found by myself Grin

Great finds anyway.

Steve.

It's a bronze Steve, I think a mid-4th century type.
Neil
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 07:28:51 PM »

Nice report and photos Peter - well done on the finds everyone. Did anyone say when the next rally is?

I can't do Sunday as its the last Cardiff V Swansea game at Fortress Ninian and I couldn't miss that for all the Denarii in the world! Spent far too much time there and seen too many derbys over the years - I got to see the last one (barring the Playoffs). Knowing the history they'll probably beat us again!

Hope its a well behaved event, but I have the feeling it may well prove not ot be. Live on Sky at 11am if anyone wants to watch it. The match sold out a week ago. Anyone else going?

Neil

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

James

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 10:43:07 PM »

welldone everyone on the finds!!!!

Not to brag but I get Hammered weekly! usually on a Friday night !!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal