Choose fontsize:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News
gesza
May 02, 2024, 06:07:44 PM
 I'm still here any rallies coming up? 
jamiepearce
January 17, 2024, 07:59:51 PM
 Evening.been out the picture for a few years.is there any weekenders coming up this year?
rookypair
January 04, 2024, 09:57:08 AM
 I think everyone has dispersed in all directions. Good to see some of the original peeps posting to 
rjm
January 03, 2024, 11:26:38 PM
 This site is pretty dead now! 
TOMTOM
January 03, 2024, 05:38:50 PM
 HI IM HERE ANY RALLYS
dances with badgers
December 28, 2023, 09:40:42 AM
 the dreaded social media lol
DEADLOCK
December 27, 2023, 08:26:38 AM
 Still going social media plays a big part 

Currently there is 1 User in the Chatroom!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company in Milton Keynes

See our
privacy policy here

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building project 4th visit  (Read 1492 times)
Christoph1945
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:07:56 PM »

Put in a few more hours this morning and as on previous visits decimal coins kept turning up. After being bitten by mosquitos last time, I doused my self with anti-mossi spray before setting off for the day. Using the EuroAce with the Nel Tornado coil and a long line with two pegs I have now covered approximately 2500 sq yards, inch by inch and yard by yard.

Upon returning home I decided to filter out the best of the finds and see just how many coins I have managed to rescue over the four visits.

6 X £1
                            1 X 50p
                            9 X 20p
                            6 X 5p
                            9 X 10p
                          22 X 1p
                          15 X 2p
                            4 X 1/2 p

1 X 1942 Irish Penny
                            1 X 1918 George V Penny
                            4 X George V Halfpennies

1 X pistol ball
                            1 X AA piece of shrapnel

2 X small copper coins that I can't yet id

Oh, and 9 cut coins!!

* 4 trip coin total.jpg (233.1 KB, 596x422 - viewed 612 times.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:11:33 PM by Christoph1945 » Logged
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:46:59 PM »

That's a fair return for you efforts Chris.  Interesting that not much old stuff has come up.  With so much decimal it makes you wonder what the area was used for.

I quickly came to the conclusion that my latest field was only used for hay with one corner being stealthily used to fly tip building rubbish from next door.  Hope I can get into it once the levelling starts.

Val

Ever Optimistic, it's out there somewhere - And I Found it
Christoph1945
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 08:40:10 PM »

Hi Val,
             sadly I was slow off the mark in asking for permission to detect the site and the diggers had already removed the top layer of a large area where I would have expected to find older coins and dumped the spoil heap inside the fenced off area of the contract project. I did have a quick chat with the site engineer but he said that health and safety excluded any chance of me detecting inside their compound. I even offered to wear a hard hat and toetectors, but he said that I wouldn't be covered by their insurance.

The area was once a sports ground and I suppose that accounts for the cut coins that I keep finding. My wife suggested that the coins would have been chopped by the tractor drawn mowers that we often saw cutting the grass there. This would also account for the large amount of shredded aluminium drinks cans that keep getting in the way.

I still have a large area to work on and it's all good practice for when I get back onto my farm permissions.  I can't believe how much my pinpointing has improved with the EuroAce and the Nel Tornado coil. I also noticed that the EuroAce can't see a 1p decimal when it is end on. Got a lovely top end signal this morning, cut and lifted the turf, only to find that the EuroAce fell silent. It was only when I got down on my hands and knees with the ProPointer that I found the 1p decimal!  Roll Eyes

How are you getting on with the Safari now?
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 10:00:37 PM »

Absolutely great Chris. I love it to bits, especially with the Ultimate coil. I'm totally confident that if I go over it, I'll find it. Roll Eyes

Don't get out as much as I might or should and it's the miles that count, as you well know.  Well known fact that the more you try, the luckier you get.

Val

Christoph1945
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 07:22:19 AM »

The Safari sounds like it would be a good machine for me to upgrade to, when I get a little more spare cash. I presently use a C-Scope CS4PI for the wet beach sand and keep the EuroAce for dry sand and inland detecting. The thought of having one machine for all spheres of detecting strikes me as being very attractive.

Being presently strapped for cash, I have put any idea of upgrading on the back burner, but I have purchased a copy of Andy Sabisch's handbook. It makes very interesting reading and I am looking forward to seeing a Safari in action. I have bumped into one or two people at Talacre who use the Safari but have never gotten round to asking them to give me a demonstration.

I suppose I could trade in my two machines and bring down the cost of a new Safari, but I have grown rather attached to them!  Undecided
Val Beechey
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:04:24 AM »

If you're happy with the product and it does the job then why change. I think you'd notice the difference in the weight Chris. Although I seem to manage, I do notice it after a while especially if there's not much to dig. (it's only heavy when you're swinging it) Roll Eyes  Plus it's not an easy one to get used to.
But having said that, it's nice to know you can take it anywhere and know all you've got to do it press a button or two and you're away.
How strange that you have 'The Book' and no machine when I see others buy the machine and not 'The Book'. It's a Man thing.  You only read the instructions when it doesn't work  Huh

Val

Richie sixpence

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 11:57:55 AM »

Nice finds Chris  Smiley I had a feeling that it was old playing fields you were detecting when you said about the modern cash finds, and also the cash cut in half don't suppose that would do the mower blades much good lol  Shocked. I wonder if it's people watching the football or clothed individuals playing football that loose the cash?............I spoke to a chap on the car park at Talacre some weeks back and he said to me playing fields were a good source of modern cash finds. But getting permission to detect an active playing field area I think maybe difficult............. Holes in a football pitch don't fair well lol  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked.

I hope to catch up with you soon Chris  Smiley

Regards Richie sixpence  Wink

All the best Richie sixpence Wink

"All that glitters is not gold" but hopefully!!!
Garrett AT Pro
C Scope CS4pi
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
And hopefully a lot of good luck
Member of, NCMD
Christoph1945
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »

Hi Richie,
                years ago, when I was a lot younger, my mates used to refer to loose change as shrapnel. After being hit and cut by a big grass cutting blade, I bet those coin fragments behaved just like shrapnel and I would have hated to be in the way of a flying coin fragment.  Shocked

The section of ground I am working at the moment is to be turned over for housing, so I don't have any problem with detecting an active playing pitch.  Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal